Cipriano Law Offices, P.C.

Call 973-852-3346

Struggles to get parents to pay child support

For whatever reasons, parents do not always pay their court-ordered child support obligations.  Some parents either cannot or will not make these payments.  

One mother tells about her former husband owing $11,000 in back child support, and she doesn't expect to be paid it back soon.  The father of her three children is unemployed, lives at an unknown address and also has a warrant out for his arrest.  Because of financial constraints, the mother will likely be forced to move out of her house and into an apartment.

There are ways of punishing a parent who doesn't pay on his or her obligations.  That individual can be incarcerated, but to put someone in jail will not likely help the parent owed the money.  When someone is in jail there are no wages to garnish.

There are ways that parents can collect on the child support, however.  In New Jersey, a parent can file a motion for enforcement of a child support decree.  The filing fee for such a motion is $30.  However, in exceptional cases this filing fee can be waived.  The other method is getting law enforcement involved.  Actions could then be taken such as the suspending of the non-custodial parent's professional license, suspending the driver's license, placing liens on tax refunds or garnishing wages.

One parent owed back child support suggested that you never take such payments for granted if the other parent is not dependable to begin with.  Unfortunately, not all parents can be depended upon to make their payments.

It is true that many child support payment disputes can be resolved without the need of an attorney if both parents can communicate with each other.  This is generally the best method for resolving all disputes.  However, there are circumstances where having the services of an attorney may prove the best possible option to resolve a child support matter.

The idea behind child support payments is to make certain the needs of the child are met.  Child support is too important of a matter to allow a parent to make payments on whim.

Source: Daily Finance, "What to Do When Your Ex Won't (or Can't) Pay Child Support," Geoff Williams, Nov. 21, 2013

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Best Readers Choice Awards Of Essex | 2018
  • IACP | International Academy of Collaborative Professionals NAFLA | Top Ten Rating | 2014
  •  Super lawyer | Melissa Cipriano
  • Super lawyer | Top 100 | New Jersey
  • Super lawyer | Top 50 Women | New Jersey
  • 10 Best 2016 | Client Satisfaction | 10 Best Female Attorney
  • Avvo Rating 10.0 | Superb | Top Attorney Divorce Avvo | Client choice 2015 | Divorce

Melissa Cipriano: Honored as a "Best of New Jersey Among our Most Distinguished Americans of Italian Descent" and conferred the "Stivale D'Italia Award of Excellence" by the Italian Tribune for her "honesty, integrity and dedication to fair and ethical business practices" and her "outstanding reputation as a Woman Whose Word is Her Bond".

*See methodology for inclusion at the websites listed: Super Lawyers, NAFLA, AIOFLA, and AVVO. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.

Email Us For A Response

Contact Cipriano Law Offices, P.C.

To learn more about our Essex County divorce and family lawyers, you may email us or call 973-852-3346 to schedule an initial consultation.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

This site uses Google's Invisible reCAPTCHA, which is subject to Google's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.


175 Fairfield Avenue
Suite 4C/D
West Caldwell, NJ 07006

Toll Free: 800-646-0731
Phone: 973-852-3346
Fax: 973-403-8610
West Caldwell Law Office Map

Make a Payment